Sunday, October 17, 2010

I have never been a confrontational person.... I sometimes fancy myself as tough, no nonsense, and strong willed. But most often I'm sarcastic, wisecracking, and spastic in my thoughts.  My thoughts are mirrored by how I talk at a speed that takes getting used to in order to understand. Like a weird smell that you slowly get used to but it eventually dissipates. I remember friends used to relay how others would ask "She talks so fast, how do you understand her?", to which my friends would just shrug, "...you just get used to it." This aspect of my personality is at once both quirky and disenchanting.
I've worked on that part. The coherence. Being understood when you speak is an obvious positive quality, but oddly not emphasized enough to many. In my third year of college, I had to do a presentation on... what was it exactly... it was about how body language and physicality can affect a group work environment. I did great amounts of research, created a detailed outline of my entire presentation, drew up fun vector visuals, and practiced over and over in front of the mirror in my South Campus studio room. The practice helped me memorize all the points I wanted to hit but it more importantly practiced my new slower pace in talking. I annunciated, I opened my mouth more, and I left pauses after each statement. After I gave my presentation, I was received with very complimentary reviews. The one major comment was how well I paced my speech, which meant they were all worried I was going to reel off a tumble of words.
I'm also a rambler...a sober rambler...just imagine me after several cocktails...and if reading up until now, I am a typing rambler too. blah blablah blah blah....

1 comment: